Purple Potato & Goat Cheese Gnocchi
2 Pounds Purple Potatoes (Magic Molly)
2 Egg Yolks
4 oz Plain Goat Cheese
1/2 Cup Shredded Parmesan
2 Cups Flour
1 1/2 Tablespoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
1. Roast potatoes until soft, then peel.
Push thru a food mill or ricer while still warm.
2. Mix in separate bowl egg yolks & goat cheese.
3. Mound the potatoes with a well in the middle.
4. Sprinkle flour, parmesan & seasonings around outside of mound.
5. Put the yolk & goat cheese mix into the well.
6. Start mixing from middle to incorporate potato then flour.
Mix then knead until incorporated.
7. Roll palm sized chunks into long ropes, 1/2" diameter.
Dust with flour. Cut ropes into 3/4 inch chunks.
8. Place small batches into boiling water until they float; then remove with slotted spoon & freeze on greased sheet tray.
9. To Serve: Boil gnocchi until they float again; then serve warm in your favorite sauce or saute in olive oil.
1. Rice the potatoes warm. It is MUCH easier.
2. Once you start making the dough you need to finish the project. The dough will not sit for later and needs to be cooked.
3. Gnocchi must be boiled twice. You can boil, cool for a few minutes then boil again or you can do the second boil when you are ready to serve.
4. YOU CAN DO THIS!! It takes a little practice but you will get the hang of it
5. You can use other kinds of potatoes but they need to be starchy like bakers, not waxy like Yukons.